Morgan Stanley in CTA fund launch with Chicago boutique
Financial services firm is launching a new fund on its alternatives platform to provide access to a commodities-based approach.
by Chris Sloley on Mar 01, 2013 at 13:42
Investment bank Morgan Stanley has joined forces with financial services firm Mesirow Financials to launch a CTA-based strategy on its alternative funds platform.
The MS Discretionary Plus UCITS fund is the latest CTA approach to be added to Morgan Stanley’s FundLogic Alternative umbrella platform, which was launched in 2006 to offer exposure to Ucits and non-Ucits funds.
This new strategy is a mirror of Chicago-based Mesirow Financial’s existing CTA fund, the Mesirow Absolute Return Plus Strategy.
It seeks to have at least 75% commodities exposure and identify two or three macro themes which are then played through futures contracts.
The strategy seeks to avoid portfolio concentration on multiple levels - including price, concentration, time, and trade structure - and aims to ensure a strong, all-around strategy.
Lead manager on the fund is Mesirow’s senior strategist Tom Willis, who has over 30 years of market experience.
The fund is Dublin-domiciled and in the process of being made available to investors in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Switzerland.
This marks the fourth CTA fund to be launched on the FundLogic Alternative platform and the latest to be made available in a Ucits format through a partnership deal with multi-manager Equinox Fund Management.
Equinox, which is a US-based firm, is a specialist in the construction of portfolios through multiple CTA programmes.
Today's top headlines
- Nordic boutique launches Asia equity fund for latest recruit
- Multi-asset investing: how the top selectors are positioned
- Overnight Markets: Wall Street advances on Fed officials' reassurance
- Valuations of Chinese banks overlook risks, says Templeton BRIC manager
- AllianceBernstein star bond manager quits to join US rival
More about this:
More from us
- Selector’s tool kit: breaking open the CTA black box
- CTA giants under threat from ESMA proposal, says Alt Ucits manager
- CTA giant announces first China fund launch
- Scientist-run CTA sets up asset management arm
- CTA Alt Ucits funds take Q2 asset growth crown
by Chris Sloley on May 22, 2013 at 09:38